Excel E. coli OutbreakMarler Clark’s E. coli attorneys represented a young Georgia boy in an E. coli lawsuit against Excel after he became ill with an E. coli infection in 2001. The boy had become ill with an E. coli infection after eating a hamburger made from ground beef purchased from a Sam’s Club store in Duluth, Georgia.
The Gwinett county Health Department and Georgia Department of Health investigated his illness and determined that the boy was part of an E. coli outbreak among Georgia residents. An epidemiologic investigation into the boy and other children’s illnesses indicated that all had consumed ground beef produced by Excel within a few days of becoming ill with E. coli infections.
Excel recalled 190,811 pounds of ground beef and ground pork supplied to supermarkets in the Southeast due to potential E. coli contamination.
The E. coli attorneys filed a lawsuit against Excel, and the boy’s claim was resolved in 2002.